Information on data protection
for the Science Award Electrochemistry
Volkswagen and BASF (hereinafter the "Initiators") are delighted that you have visited our website www.science-award.com (hereinafter the "Website") and thank you for your interest. For the Initiators, data protection has the highest priority. This document is designed to provide you with information on how we are following the rules for data protection, which information we gather while you are using our Website and how this information is used. First and fore-most: your personal data is only used in the following cases and will not be used in following cases without your explicit consent.
B: Which data categories do we use and where do they come from?We process the following categories of personal data:
- Contact information (name and surname; address and phone number, cell phone number, fax number and e-mail address);
- Other information necessary for your application for the Science Award Electrochemistry (job, graduation, profession);
- application letter
- letter of recommendation
- summary/abstract of the scientific achievements;
- corresponding documents/references and curriculum vitae.
- Browser and device information (IP address, login data)
C: For what purposes and on what legal basis are data processed?We process your personal data in compliance with the provisions of the General EU Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), as well as all other relevant laws.
Data processing serves the following purposes:
- Carrying out your registration and setting up a user account to be able to consider your application for the Science Award Electrochemistry;
- Processing your requests and questions in connection with the Science Award Electrochemistry;
- Planning, executing and administrating our Science Award Electrochemistry;
- Maintaining and protecting the security and safety of our products and services as well as security and functionality of our websites; avoiding and detecting security risks, fraudulent activities or other criminal or malicious acts;
- Compliance with legal requirements (e.g. compliance with fiscal or commercial retention obligations; preventing money laundering or economic crime);
- Resolving disputes and lawsuits, establishing, exercising or defending against legal claims or litigation, enforcing existing contracts.
If not otherwise expressly stipulated, the legal basis for the processing are our legitimate interests according to Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR. Our legitimate interests are to be able to carry out the Science Award Electrochemistry and to be able to consider your application.
This website uses the webanalytical service Matomo (https://matomo.org/) to analyse and continuously improve the use of our website. The resulting statistics will help us to improve our offer and make it more interesting you for you as our user. For this evaluation a cookie will be stored on your machine. We will store this usage data for up to 360 days. We will save this information exclusively on our server in Germany. You can reject this evaluation by deleting existing Cookies, by excluding saving cookies in your browser. In case you reject saving the cookies please be reminded that you might not be able to use all functions within this website. This website uses Matomo with the extension “AnonymizeIP”. While the IP addresses will be processed, a direct link to the person can thereby be excluded. The IP-address transmitted via Matomo in your browser will not be linked with other data obtained. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest to analyse the use of our website and optimize its functionality.
D: To whom is personal data transmitted?Within our company, only persons and bodies who need your personal data to fulfill the above-mentioned purposes will receive access to such data. Your personal data and application material will be shared with the members of the jury.
We might transfer your personal data to supervisory authorities, courts or law offices as far as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable law or to exercise, assert or defend legal rights if legally permitted.
We also work with service providers to fulfill the above-mentioned purposes. Those service providers process your personal data in our name and solely according to our instructions. They are contractually obliged to adhere to the applicable data protection regulations. We use the following provider as a data processor:
Cinetic Internet Systemhaus GmbH; Address: Erbprinzenstr. 3, 76133 Karlsruhe; Phone +49-721 4762 0; E-Mail: email@example.com; The personal data is processed in a Computing center in Karlsruhe, Germany
Further information as well as a copy of the measures taken can be obtained from the above specified contacts.
E: For how long do we retain your personal data?We store personal data for as long as it is necessary to perform the application process and the Science Award Electrochemistry, providing that no legal requirements exist to the contrary such as in the case of retention periods required by trade or tax regulations. Data will be deleted after conclusion of the contest. Protocol mails and logfiles with personal data will be stored three months.
F: Which data protection rights can be asserted by concerned parties?You have certain rights under the GDPR including the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you, if you request it from us in writing:
- Right to correct: if your personal is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to have your personal information rectified;
- Right to erasure: this is also known as ‘the right to be forgotten’ and, in simple terms, enables you to request the deletion or removal of your information where there’s no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions. For example, we have the right to continue using your personal data if such use is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
- Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to suspend the usage of your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it. Please note that this right is limited in certain situations: when we are processing your personal information that we collected from you with your consent you can only request restriction on the basis of: (a) inaccuracy of data; (b) where our processing is unlawful and you don’t want your personal information erased; (c) you need it for a legal claim; or (d) if we no longer need to use the data for the purposes for which we hold it. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information, but may not use it further. We keep lists of people who have asked for restriction of the use of their personal information to make sure the restriction is respected in future;
- Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer (where technically feasible) your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, for your own purposes across different services;
- Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, direct marketing.
Insofar as the processing is based upon an overriding interest or your data are used for the purposes of direct advertising, you shall have the right to object to the processing of your data. An objection shall be permissible (sic!) if the processing either is carried out in the public interest or in the exercising of official authority or owing to a justified interest of Volkswagen AG or of a third party. In the event that you object, we request that you state your reasons to us regarding why you are objecting to the data processing. In addition, you shall have the right to object to the data processing for the purposes of direct advertising. This shall also be valid for profiling insofar as this is undertaken in conjunction with the direct advertising.
- Right to be informed: you have the right to be provided with clear, transparent and easily understandable information about how we use your personal information; and
- Right to withdraw consent: if you have given your consent to anything we do with your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time (although if you do so, it does not mean that anything we have done with your personal information with your consent up to that point is unlawful).
When we receive formal written complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints that we cannot resolve directly.
Where can complaints be submitted?
Irrespective of any other legal remedy under administrative law or judicial remedy, you are entitled to file a complaint with the supervisory authority, particularly in the member state in which he or she is a resident or where the alleged violation took place, if you believe the processing of personal data related to him or her is in violation of the GDPR.
The supervisory authority to which the complaint is submitted shall notify the appellant of the situation and the results of the complaint, including the option of a legal remedy in accordance with article 78 of the GDPR.
Der Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz und die Informationsfreiheit Rheinland-Pfalz
Hintere Bleiche 34
Die Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Allocation of Responsibilities under the GDPR
|Determination of the means and purposes of the processing of personal data||X||X|
|Determination of the categories of personal data which will be processed||X||X|
|Information according to Art. 13/14 GDPR||X|
|Execution of data subjects’ rights according to Art. 15 to 22 GDPR||X|
|Notification of a personal data breach according to Art. 33/34 GDPR||X|
|Contractual partner of the subcontractor||X|
|Dealing with inquiries via the website||X|
Irrespective of the terms of the agreement, you may exercise your rights under the GDPR in respect of and against each of the controllers.
G: Who is responsible for data processing and who is the Data Protection Officer?Responsible for data processing is
Carl Bosch Strasse 38
67056 Ludwigshafen /Rhein
The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Berliner Ring 2
38440 Wolfsburg, Germany
The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Data Protection Officer of Volkswagen AG
Berliner Ring 2, 38440 Wolfsburg