Terms and Conditions
IntroductionBASF SE with its corporate seat in Ludwigshafen am Rhein ("BASF") and Volkswagen AG with its corporate seat in Wolfsburg ("VW"), two leading industrial companies, wish to fund excellent scientific research and its application in the field of electrochemistry. By means of publishing this international contest invitation for the Science Award Electrochemistry (the "Contest Invitation" and the "Award"), BASF and VW wish to give an impulse for raising new research resources.
1. InitiatorsInitiators of this Contest Invitation are BASF and VW (the "Initiators").
2. Purpose of Contest InvitationBy means of this Contest Invitation, the Initiators intend to fund excellent scientific research in electrochemistry in the areas of chemistry, physics and engineering, and the application of the results in the areas of material, cell, system, production, operations and recycling as well as to give the impetus for the generation of new research resources, including but not limited to postdoctoral fellows intending to habilitate or assistant professors/junior professors establishing a new institute/chair.
3. Terms and Conditions
- Only individuals, e.g. post-doctoral fellows, lecturers/assistant or junior professors aged below 40 years are eligible.
- Research groups are excluded.
- Applicants are not entitled to submit more than one application for the Science Award Electrochemistry.
- The application requires (1) an excellent Ph.D. thesis, habilitation or research contribution in the areas of chemistry, physics or engineering which has been graded "excellent" / "sehr gut" or equivalent and (2) a recommendation by the supervising professor or equivalent (e. g. head of research).
- Employees of the Initiators or their affiliates including employees' relatives and members of Jury are not entitled to apply.
4. Application requirementsThe applications shall include:
- an application letter setting out the applicant's motivation; the letter has to indicate that the application refers to this Science Award contest
- a letter of recommendation by the supervising professor or equivalent
- a summary/abstract of the scientific achievements;
- corresponding documents/references and
- a short curriculum vitae.
5. Selection ProcedureAll applications submitted will be formally examined, followed by a two-step selection procedure: In the first step, the best applicants will be nominated. In the second step, the awardee will be selected after a presentation by the nominated applicants. Both steps will be conducted by a high-ranked jury of experts composed of six jurors comprising two expert members each of BASF, VW and academia (the "Jury") which, depending on the number of applications, may in addition be supported by research experts of the Initiators.
The Jury is free to take the application for the Science Award Electrochemistry also in consideration for the Special Award and vice versa.
6. Selection CriteriaThe selection criteria are based on (1) the excellence of the research contribution, (2) the relevance to practice and (3) the applicant's personality. Further detailed selection criteria shall be determined by the Jury.
7. Exclusion CriteriaThe Initiators are entitled to exclude applicants whose applications contradict the Terms and Conditions. The applications have to be submitted within the closing date for applications set out in sec. 10. Extensions of the deadline will not be granted. Post-submissions will not be accepted.
8. JuryThe selection and assessment of the best applications is conducted by the Jury which, depending on the number of applications, may in addition be supported by research experts of the Initiators. The Initiators are entitled to appoint substitute jurors who will act in lieu of Jury members that are prevented from carrying out their duties as jurors.
The Jury decision shall require the majority of votes and each juror shall have one vote. Jury decisions are final and not subject to legal appeal.
9. AwardThe Award for the best applications selected according to this Contest Invitation comprise a total prize money of 100,000 EUR, thereof 40,000 EUR for the winner.
The usage of the prize money is unconditional. The winner and the finalists are free to decide about the purpose of the prize money.
Income taxes (e.g. withholding tax) in connection with the execution of this agreement and payments made by the initiators that are imposed on or to be paid from the participant in the country of the initiators shall be borne by the participant. The initiators will pay to the relevant tax authorities the full amount required to be withheld on behalf and for the account of the participant. The initiators shall promptly provide the participant with the original tax payment receipts issued by the relevant tax authorities.
Each party shall account solely for its compliance with its own tax liabilities and/or obligations arising from the contest.
The Award ceremony will take place on November 29th and 30th 2017 in Karlsruhe (Germany), including:
- the presentation by the nominated candidates in front of the Jury;
- the consultation of the Jury;
- the holding of a public scientific symposium called "Science Dialog" with presentations by external and internal experts as well as the winner and the other nominees and
- the final Award ceremony.
Conference proceedings of the symposium, containing abstracts and presentation slides, shall be published.
10. Timeline and Closing Date for ApplicationsThis Contest Invitation is subject to the timeline set out in this sec. 10.
- Call for papers: May XX, 2017
- Closing date for applications: August 18, 2017
- Symposium and award ceremony: November 29th and 30th, 2017
11. Applicants' Confirmation and DeclarationBy submitting their applications, the applicants confirm that they accept the Terms and Conditions. Furthermore, the applicants declare that they (1) have developed their theses and/or work results and (2) possess the right to publish such theses and/or work results.
12. AddressApplications have to be submitted online via the application-tool of this website.
13. Property Right, Intellectual Property Rights and Rights of UsageDocuments submitted by the applicants do not pass into the property of the Initiators. All intellectual property rights remain with the applicants.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the applicants herewith grant the Initiators a non-exclusive right to use the submitted information related to publications and announcements of the Award referred to in Sec. 9. The applicants explicitly permit the Initiators to take photos in the context of the Award ceremony. They grant the Initiators without limitation and free of charge the worldwide right of any usage, including but not limited to the rights of storage, duplication and distribution, of any photographs – printed or in digital form - related to such publications and announcements of the Award in print media publications, advertisements, online and in other format that the Initiators choose. This includes the Initiators´ right to sub-license such rights of use to the Initiators´ respective group companies as well as to media agencies for the purpose of publications and announcements of the Award.
The applicants agree with the aforesaid publication of the results of the Award, including but not limited to the publication as conference proceedings.
14. Data ProtectionThe Initiators in their capacity as controller pursuant to Sec. 3 para. 7 of the Federal Data Protection Act ("Verantwortliche Stelle" gemäß § 3 Abs. 7 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz) will collect, store and use personal data in compliance with applicable German data protection laws and exclusively for the purposes of this contest invitation. A service provider will process personal data by order and on behalf of the Initiators.
15. Governing LawThis Contest Invitation is governed solely by German law. For the avoidance of doubt, it shall be treated as a public offer of a reward pursuant to Section 661 BGB (Preisausschreiben gemäß § 661 BGB).
BASF SE Volkswagen AG
Ludwigshafen/Wolfsburg - May XX, 2017